Sabah alleged unauthorised reclamation works exposed in Facebook .

08Jan10

Dr Hiew inspecting the site of the so called unauthorised reclaimation works

Jan 12 2010. This is an update of the story below .

According to the Daily Express Sabah Jan 10 2010, quoting Dr Hiew King Heu , an experienced  Construction  Engineer and a Member of Parliament .
“There is actually no land reclamation as claimed, but it is part of the construction process and within the building boundary,” he said.

Hiew said the so-called sea reclamation is actually the excavated material from the boreholes created for the large diameter reinforced concrete bore piles.

“This excavated material is used to fill up a temporary platform to sit the heavy piling machine, and there is no imported fill material from outside,” he said.

Is this the end of the story ?

Below is the original blog :

Who reads your blog ? I don’t know who reads mine  . Who looks at the picture that you published in the Facebook. ? Could be an important Minister as this story turns up to be.

Someone published a picture in the social media network Facebook .  It was thought to show an alleged land reclamation activity at the site of the Kota Kinabalu City Waterfront Development Project, in KK, Sabah. Luckily ( or unluckily )  , the picture was seen by the State Environment Minister Masidi Manjun which led to  a “stop work “ order to the Contractors pending further investigations into this case .

Such is the power of the Facebook as a media to disseminate information. Just think how can you  use Facebook to promote your company or products .

We note that the Minister must be internet literate another wise he would not even know how to switch on his expensive Sony lap top.

Read here for more detail : from the Daily Express , Sabah .

Artist impression of the Kota Kinabalu City Waterfront project

“Stop work’ order pending probe on reclamation claim “

http://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news.cfm?NewsID=6990.

The Environmental Protection Department has issued a “stop work” order to the contractor of the Kota Kinabalu City Waterfront Development project pending investigations into alleged land reclamation activity at its site near Anjung Senja, Wednesday.

State Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister, Datuk Masidi Manjun, said this upon receiving a photo showing the alleged reclamation work which was published on Facebook.

“It came to my attention via the Facebook on Tuesday night and my officers were at the site first thing this morning (Wednesday) to investigate. The Environmental Protection Department is issuing a ‘stop work’ order to the contractor,” he said.

However, Masidi said that a preliminary report showed the site of the alleged reclamation is not within the Waterfront commercial and hotel complex as stated in the development plan submitted to the State Cabinet.

“We are verifying this,” he said.

A Facebook user reportedly took photos between early December last year and Jan. 2 this year and uploaded it on the social networking site.

The Kota Kinabalu City Waterfront mixed development project on a 1.24ha along the city waterfront area, which will feature the key attraction of a 2km long boardwalk and buildings to be made a city’s icon, is expected to be completed this year.

It is to be built using eco-friendly materials rising above the sea on stilts, without involving any reclamation. Waterfront Urban Development Sdn Bhd (WUD) is carrying out the project jointly with City Hall.

It is among projects identified under the Sabah Development Corridor that aims to make Sabah a major destination for both leisure and business tourism.

Mayor Datuk Iliyas Ibrahim repeatedly assured there would be no land reclamation in the RM500 million project.

Meanwhile, Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) Sabah Deputy Chairperson, Christina Liew called for stern action on the project developer if it is proven that a violation had been committed.

“The city would have a nice waterfront if City Hall just enhance the existing waterfront, and build a long esplanade from that site of Anjung Senja up to Tanjung Lipat É we will have a nice and beautiful long esplanade, which can boost the city’s image and tourism industry,” she said.

More concrete buildings will not enhance the city’s image as several of the buildings are not even fully occupied, she said.

Sabah Environmental Protection Association President, Wong Tack, also reminded that the Mayor “clearly repeated no reclamation three times in a very strong commitment to the people of Kota Kinabalu while Datuk Masidi had similarly made such public statements.”

“We want the consultant to carry out his duty with responsibility and make sure the project is done in accordance with the procedures of environmental impact assessment,” he said.

“We also appeal to the Environment Protection Department to enforce the procedures and immediately initiate an investigation into all environmental dimensions of the reclamation including discharge of turbid sediments carried by currents into the nearby coasts and Tunku Abdul Rahaman Park,” he added.



No Responses Yet to “Sabah alleged unauthorised reclamation works exposed in Facebook .”

  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: